Lost City, Colombia: A Walking Guide to the Lost City
The Lost City, also known as Ciudad Perdida, is a stunning ancient city located in the Sierra Nevada mountain range of Colombia. It is believed to have been founded around the 9th century, and was once the capital of the ancient Tairona civilization. Today, the Lost City is a popular destination for hikers and adventurers looking to explore the rich history and stunning natural beauty of the region. In this guide, we will provide everything you need to know to plan a visit to the Lost City, including the history, logistics, and tips for enjoying your visit.
History of the Lost City
The Lost City was founded by the Tairona civilization, which is thought to have existed in the region from around the 7th to the 16th century. The Tairona were known for their advanced agricultural practices, as well as their skilled metalworking and ceramics. The city was a major center of trade and cultural exchange, and was connected to other ancient civilizations in South and Central America through a network of trade routes.
The city was lost to history for centuries, and was only rediscovered in the 1970s by a group of treasure hunters. It was not until the 1980s that the site was fully excavated and studied by archaeologists, who uncovered a wealth of information about the Tairona civilization and the Lost City.
Logistics of Visiting the Lost City
The Lost City is located in a remote and mountainous region of Colombia, and can only be accessed by foot. There are a number of tour companies that offer guided hikes to the Lost City, which typically last for four to six days. The hike is considered moderate to challenging, with some steep inclines and rocky trails.
Most tour companies offer all-inclusive packages that include transportation to and from the starting point of the hike, meals, accommodations in camps along the way, and guides. It is important to book a tour with a reputable company that has a good safety record and experienced guides.
It is also important to be prepared for the physical demands of the hike and the varying weather conditions in the region. The temperature can range from hot during the day to cold at night, so it is important to bring appropriate clothing and gear. It is also recommended to bring plenty of water and snacks, as well as sunscreen and insect repellent.
Tips for Enjoying Your Visit to the Lost City
Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your visit to the Lost City:
- Take your time: The hike to the Lost City is not a race, and it is important to take breaks and pace yourself. This will allow you to fully enjoy the beautiful scenery and take in the history of the site.
- Respect the site: The Lost City is an important cultural and historical site, and it is important to treat it with respect. This includes staying on the designated trails, not touching or taking artifacts, and following the guidelines of your tour group and guides.
- Be prepared: As mentioned above, it is important to be physically and mentally prepared for the hike to the Lost City. This includes being in good physical shape, bringing appropriate gear and supplies, and being prepared for the challenges of the hike.
- Be respectful of the local community: The Lost City is located in the territory of the Kogi indigenous people, who have a long and close connection to the site. It is important to be respectful of their culture and traditions, and to follow the guidelines of your tour group and guides in interacting with the community.
Related Post :
- Dollar liquidity crisis, IMF turmoil weakens rupee against dollar
- “Tips for Building a Sustainable Fashion Wardrobe”
- Berlin Christmas Markets: The Ultimate Guide [Updated 2022]