Chicken tikka is a popular Indian dish made with marinated pieces of chicken that are grilled or baked until tender and flavorful. This authentic chicken tikka recipe is easy to make and yields succulent, flavorful chicken that is perfect for serving as a main course or as an appetizer.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, paprika, garam masala, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the marinade and stir to coat the chicken evenly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, discarding any excess marinade.
- Grill the chicken skewers for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and has grill marks.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
“Serving Suggestions for Chicken Tikka”
There are many ways to serve chicken tikka, depending on your personal preferences and the occasion. Here are a few ideas for serving your chicken tikka:
- As an appetizer: Chicken tikka makes a great appetizer when served with a dipping sauce, such as a mint chutney or a tamarind sauce.
- In a sandwich: Chicken tikka can be served in a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and a spicy mayonnaise or yogurt sauce.
- In a wrap: Chicken tikka can also be served in a wrap with your choice of vegetables and condiments.
- With a side of rice or naan: Chicken tikka goes well with a side of rice or naan bread.
“Variations on the Classic Chicken Tikka Recipe”
There are many ways to customize the classic chicken tikka recipe to suit your personal preferences or to use up ingredients you have on hand. Here are a few variations on the classic chicken tikka recipe:
- Chicken tikka masala: To make chicken tikka masala, add the grilled chicken tikka to a sauce made with tomatoes, onions, and spices. Serve over rice or with naan bread.
- Chicken tikka skewers: Instead of cutting the chicken into cubes, you can slice the chicken into long, thin strips and thread it onto skewers. Grill the skewers as directed in the recipe.
- Chicken tikka bowls: Instead of serving the chicken tikka on its own, you can serve it over a bed of rice or quinoa with a variety of vegetables and toppings, such as chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, and yogurt sauce.
I hope this blog post has given you some ideas for preparing and serving chicken tikka. Enjoy!